Ford Mustang Forums
 Home Register FAQ New Posts Members List Contact Us     Log In Log In  

Ford Mustang Forums Off-Topic General Chat

I Need some schooling on 302 ???

DEEZ-67 01.04.2020, 01:04
So I need a good motor to swap into my '60 F100. Don't need a race car just a good solid motor with a little street cam. I've been looking for a donor car to pull a 302 and trans out of. I've been kind of looking at the 9******1 ford explorer and mercury mountaineers as they have a V8 with the GT40 heads and someone told me those years have the better trans (5R55E) in them.

I guess my question is what are some things i need to consider? Can I swap in a little cam into these motors? How hard is it to pull the computer crap off and just go back to a simple carbureted engine or do I even want to do that. Is it easier to just buy a 302 motor and trans?

any input is welcome guys I really just want to get a game plan going so that I can start on this thing.
orangeRcode 01.04.2020, 01:26
Jeremy should be able to school you on this subject. He's the Explorer KING!
DEEZ-67 01.04.2020, 01:42
I've got open ears...
orangeRcode 01.04.2020, 02:06
You have a PM...
DEEZ-67 01.04.2020, 02:58
Got it
mustangracer84 01.04.2020, 04:01
the explorer motor is a good choice, however using the transmission without swapping over the rest of the computer stuff is going to be quite problematic... frankly just pulling the entire motor is a great start, as the short block, gt40 or gt40p heads, camshaft and intake are all decent performing pieces... For simplicity of the swap, I would consider either using an older f150 harness or a mustang harness. The "explorer cam" is really a pretty decent cam featuring dual pattern and decent lobe separation for brakes and future boosted applications... especially if it's going into another truck/4x4 application. I would suggest upgrading to roller rockers anyways, and while at it, I'd get some 1.7 Ratio ones as just like the stock gt camshaft, the addition of the 1.7 ratio rockers really wake up that camshaft.
mustangracer84 01.04.2020, 04:19
easiest way to swap and get back on road:
1)buy explorer engine
2)sell fuel injection intake for $100-$200
3)BUY LARGE QUANTITES OF BEER
4)buy one wire distributor off of ebay for $50
5)buy "tall" clearance valve covers off ebay or okdhm for approx. $50.
6)buy used performance intake $75-$150
7)buy carburetor (I've got one for sale)
8)BUY MORE BEER (maybe some ice too?)
9)call out on OKDHM and buddies to come help (advertising large quantity of beer)
10)bolt up c4 automatic
11)bolt up appropriate oil pan and pick up to clear chassis (front sump iirc)
12)install and address mounting/wiring/clearance/exhaust issues and enjoy.

LOLZ
Relentless 01.04.2020, 06:36
You don't want to use a 5r55e. Most of the engines you'll find have P heads, you'll need to see what kind of compatible headers you can find that will fit that chassis. Mormon has like 13 explorers and mountaineers in his shop though. If you want OD in the trans, then I would do a 4r70w with a manual VB
Blitzkrieg 01.04.2020, 10:12
A 4r70W would work very well. If you want it to shift itself, check out the Baumann electronic controllers.

DEEZ-67 01.04.2020, 23:55

Originally Posted by mustangracer84:

the explorer motor is a good choice, however using the transmission without swapping over the rest of the computer stuff is going to be quite problematic... frankly just pulling the entire motor is a great start, as the short block, gt40 or gt40p heads, camshaft and intake are all decent performing pieces... For simplicity of the swap, I would consider either using an older f150 harness or a mustang harness. The "explorer cam" is really a pretty decent cam featuring dual pattern and decent lobe separation for brakes and future boosted applications... especially if it's going into another truck/4x4 application. I would suggest upgrading to roller rockers anyways, and while at it, I'd get some 1.7 Ratio ones as just like the stock gt camshaft, the addition of the 1.7 ratio rockers really wake up that camshaft.

Originally Posted by mustangracer84:

easiest way to swap and get back on road:
1)buy explorer engine
2)sell fuel injection intake for $100-$200
3)BUY LARGE QUANTITES OF BEER
4)buy one wire distributor off of ebay for $50
5)buy "tall" clearance valve covers off ebay or okdhm for approx. $50.
6)buy used performance intake $75-$150
7)buy carburetor (I've got one for sale)
8)BUY MORE BEER (maybe some ice too?)
9)call out on OKDHM and buddies to come help (advertising large quantity of beer)
10)bolt up c4 automatic
11)bolt up appropriate oil pan and pick up to clear chassis (front sump iirc)
12)install and address mounting/wiring/clearance/exhaust issues and enjoy.

LOLZ

Dude funny truthful and helpful... you don't get that ever often around here. lol. Thanks for the input.

Originally Posted by Relentless:

You don't want to use a 5r55e. Most of the engines you'll find have P heads, you'll need to see what kind of compatible headers you can find that will fit that chassis. Mormon has like 13 explorers and mountaineers in his shop though. If you want OD in the trans, then I would do a 4r70w with a manual VB

I've heard a few people say to stay away from the 5r55e but then I've heard a few say that it my not be the best it's one of the better out of the explorers. What is the 4r70w out of?

Originally Posted by Blitzkrieg:

A 4r70W would work very well. If you want it to shift itself, check out the Baumann electronic controllers.

wow nice! I thought those controllers where way more pricey.
Relentless 02.04.2020, 04:19
The v6 explorers have the 5r55 but the v8's have a 4r70w, i'm not even sure the bolt pattern of the 4.0. You can use that one out of the explorer if it's 2wd or find one from a v6 truck or mustang (3.8 or 4.2 have a windsor bellhousing). The later in the years you find one the better improved the internal components will be.
DEEZ-67 02.04.2020, 04:39

Originally Posted by Relentless:

The v6 explorers have the 5r55 but the v8's have a 4r70w, i'm not even sure the bolt pattern of the 4.0. You can use that one out of the explorer if it's 2wd or find one from a v6 truck or mustang (3.8 or 4.2 have a windsor bellhousing). The later in the years you find one the better improved the internal components will be.

So the V8s I'm looking at all have the 4r70w that's good to know.

The truck has 9" in it and I would like to keep it but it would also be nice to have the disk brakes off 8.8. Am I better off just using the 8.8 or is it worth trying to keep with the 9"
1poorracer 02.04.2020, 13:58
I have a complete one I'd sell you, running driving mountaineer . Pm me
DEEZ-67 03.04.2020, 00:01

Originally Posted by 1poorracer:

I have a complete one I'd sell you, running driving mountaineer . Pm me

Pm'd