Ford Mustang Forums
 Home Register FAQ New Posts Members List Contact Us     Log In Log In  

Ford Mustang Forums Tech Related General Tech/How Do I?

Mercruiser engine swap

Mattp 03.04.2015, 15:17
Anyone on here swapped inboard motors before? What am I getting into? I've Got a cracked 5.0 (chevy 305) mercruiser.
DEEZ-67 03.04.2015, 15:38

Originally Posted by Mattp:

Anyone on here swapped inboard motors before? What am I getting into? I've Got a cracked 5.0 (chevy 305) mercruiser.

Bret has done it a few times. I'll be helping him do one in a few weeks as a matter of fact.
Mattp 03.04.2015, 16:11

Originally Posted by DEEZ-67:

Bret has done it a few times. I'll be helping him do one in a few weeks as a matter of fact.

Seems like the hard part for me is finding a good 7******0 engine. My brother and I are wanting to keep the cost down by swapping everything over & making it marine-ized and go. Don't know how dumb that is or not.
Mattp 03.04.2015, 16:17
I feel the boat is worth the trouble. New floors/carpet, fixed wiring mess, rebuilt lower unit, new upholstered seats.
DEEZ-67 03.04.2015, 18:41

Originally Posted by Mattp:

I feel the boat is worth the trouble. New floors/carpet, fixed wiring mess, rebuilt lower unit, new upholstered seats.

Yeah sounds like a motor swap to me. I'll see if I can't get Bret to chime in here.
jbt21479 03.04.2015, 19:03
1 day job if you have a lift to get it done. Get a 305 out of a truck or van, swap the intake, alternator, oil pan, starter ( optional. Lots of guys run non marine starters).... Basically anything you can tell needs to be swapped. Don't worry about the cams like some people will say. More work for very little, if any payoff. Make sure the alternator is marine though. That is a big one. Many fires caused by non marine alts. .
It's really a simple job. Get the full gasket set and slap it together. I have used both the marine gasket set and the non marine. Both work just fine but the marine is double the price.
Mattp 04.04.2015, 01:13
Sweet. thank you for that info. I just need to find an engine now. If I do find a 350 since there more abundant will everything be ok to swap? I don't mind paying someone on here for their time, help, and lift if thats an option too.
68mustang 04.04.2015, 13:25
I might look at finding a vortec 350if you could. You wanna keep the iron intake or find an iron intake because of corrosion issues. I also think that's why marine gaskets are different than regular truck applications. Definitely put marine electronics on it. Carbed motor in a confined space is an explosion waiting to happen. I've got an 81 merc 228 that I wanna swap a 350 in when the motor goes.