Ford Mustang Forums
 Home Register FAQ New Posts Members List Contact Us     Log In Log In  

Ford Mustang Forums Tech Related General Tech/How Do I?

98 GT wheels.

Mattp 26.02.2014, 15:43
I love these wheels. Don't hate on me. Anyways I got them cheap but they need refinishing. Looks like a clear coat of some sort and surface scratches. I have seen paint stripper works well. Anyone know what steps to take

Attachment 68978Attachment 68979
squeak 26.02.2014, 18:54
I love those wheels too. You could media blast them then have polished.
Mattp 26.02.2014, 19:39

Originally Posted by squeak:

I love those wheels too. You could media blast them then have polished.

Do you know who could do something like that.
squeak 26.02.2014, 20:09
I'm in SW MO so anyone I don't. I'd think you could also get them blasted and powder coated, I"m sure there are places in OK City that are capable.
Mattp 26.02.2014, 20:17

I'm in SW MO so anyone I don't. I'd think you could also get them blasted and powder coated, I"m sure there are places in OK City that are capable.

oh ok. I feel like it shouldn't be too hard for me to sand them and paint them. 75-100 a wheel is crazy
squeak 26.02.2014, 20:27
That it is. I've had good luck with duplicolor engine paint laying down nicely on all materials. Ends up being tough (pick a color pretty much) and holds up to brake dust/heat nicely.
Mattp 27.02.2014, 02:49

That it is. I've had good luck with duplicolor engine paint laying down nicely on all materials. Ends up being tough (pick a color pretty much) and holds up to brake dust/heat nicely.

I'm wet sanding right now and it seems to be removing the scratches. If I use the duplicolor engine clear coat, do you know if that would that be okay?
BOTLDPONY 27.02.2014, 10:04
why not sent them to powdercoat? they sand blast them and you can pick any color. if you need a powdercoat guy pm me I have one that will probably do them for $120-$150 for the set.
Mattp 27.02.2014, 11:34

Originally Posted by BOTLDPONY:

why not sent them to powdercoat? they sand blast them and you can pick any color. if you need a powdercoat guy pm me I have one that will probably do them for $120-$150 for the set.

Well because I read everywhere that you can not paint machined wheels. The paint will melt off from high heat and that its super dangerous
jbro78 27.02.2014, 13:14

Originally Posted by Mattp:

Well because I read everywhere that you can not paint machined wheels. The paint will melt off from high heat and that its super dangerous

Powder coat is not paint!!! They powder coat headers and the it dont come off!!! Oh and whats so dangerous about the paint melting off besides it getting all over your car?
Mattp 27.02.2014, 13:36

Originally Posted by jbro78:

Powder coat is not paint!!! They powder coat headers and the it dont come off!!! Oh and whats so dangerous about the paint melting off besides it getting all over your car?

Oh ok. Well I don't know much about powder coating anything. Paint melting off and getting in all over the brakes? I don't know it's just what I read. When powder coating can the wheels retain that same factory shine
squeak 27.02.2014, 14:15
I still don't see how paint can "melt" off due to it being a machined wheel. Scuff the surface, prep properly and shoot away. IF you're worried about heat use an engine ceramic paint that is made to withstand some heat. I've painted polished wheels (didn't want to polish and was lazy lol) and they are still holding up nicely. Worst case you have to touch them up from time to time, esp if you drive on a lot of dirt roads.
Mattp 27.02.2014, 15:25

I still don't see how paint can "melt" off due to it being a machined wheel. Scuff the surface, prep properly and shoot away. IF you're worried about heat use an engine ceramic paint that is made to withstand some heat. I've painted polished wheels (didn't want to polish and was lazy lol) and they are still holding up nicely. Worst case you have to touch them up from time to time, esp if you drive on a lot of dirt roads.

Yeah I'm not sure myself how it would melt thats just what I read. I'm good with powder coating as long as it works, looks good, and lasts. If I can't get these wheels looking good with the wet sanding I will have them powder-coated.
Mattp 27.02.2014, 15:40
Another thing is if I am to get these looking new again with wetsanding can I put a nice clear coat back on it. What I've done so far is sprayed paint stripper all over the wheels and power washed the coating off. Now I have started on the wet sanding.