Ford Mustang Forums
 Home Register FAQ New Posts Members List Contact Us     Log In Log In  

Ford Mustang Forums Tech Related Brakes & Suspension

front end shaking issues

jcolbert43 13.07.2013, 21:05
Ok so i have a massive issue with the front end shaking while rolling at any speed, i know its something to do with the alignment however ive never had an alignment issue so i have no clue what to do to fix this, I need assistance with this asap, im not sure if the steering parts are bad, broken, or worn and if so i have no clue where to go to get replacements since im starting a new job monday so any assistance with this is greatly appreciated. fyi its a 91 with the 2.3 and has factory 14's (which i would love to change to something bigger if possible) headscrathuhheadscrat
jcolbert43 13.07.2013, 21:30
so after researching ive found that its the tie rod end at the rack, now i need to find a new rack and tie rods. any clues as to where to start looking for that or does anyone have a rack and tie rod sitting on a donor chassis that i can come pull
foxchassisfreak 13.07.2013, 22:17
I have a good rack, already pulled. $50 takes it
91boostedLX 13.07.2013, 22:32
It sounds like you have a balance issue to me. You can change tie rod ends, you don't have to change the whole rack.
Jefro 14.07.2013, 22:00
Go get the alignment checked as well as the tires balanced first before you start throwing parts into it. Then you know if and exactly what you need.
Mr. Red Pony 15.07.2013, 01:08
Alignment will not cause a vibration. Have you checked for bad tires (knots) or bent rims?
Jefro 15.07.2013, 02:37

Originally Posted by Mr. Red Pony:

Alignment will not cause a vibration. Have you checked for bad tires (knots) or bent rims?

He didn't specify if it was an up-and-down vibration or a side-to-side vibration.
Mr. Red Pony 15.07.2013, 10:34
Regardless, alignment will not cause a vibration. A vibration comes from a rotating component that is out of balance, not an alignment angle that it out of spec. A wheel that is simply not balance properly will vibrate around 35mph up to about 75mph and be less noticeable above or below that speed range. For something that is a vibration at any speed you're looking for a gross inbalance. IE, a bent wheel (tire mounting surface or hub mounting surface) or a tire with tread separation (a large knot in the tread surface).

There is one exception, but it is highly unlikely. That is if caster is above 7.0* and you are traveling at highway speeds and hit a bump, you will get a slight temporary shimmy. But since factory caster is around 2.5* and it cant get muc higher than 3.5* without suspention modification, that can be ruled out.
98gt 25.07.2013, 12:16

Originally Posted by Mr. Red Pony:

Regardless, alignment will not cause a vibration. A vibration comes from a rotating component that is out of balance, not an alignment angle that it out of spec. A wheel that is simply not balance properly will vibrate around 35mph up to about 75mph and be less noticeable above or below that speed range. For something that is a vibration at any speed you're looking for a gross inbalance. IE, a bent wheel (tire mounting surface or hub mounting surface) or a tire with tread separation (a large knot in the tread surface).

There is one exception, but it is highly unlikely. That is if caster is above 7.0* and you are traveling at highway speeds and hit a bump, you will get a slight temporary shimmy. But since factory caster is around 2.5* and it cant get muc higher than 3.5* without suspention modification, that can be ruled out.

this.... ^^^ as im a chassis guy also.
63T-Bolt 01.08.2013, 17:00
Worn struts will also cause the steering wheel to shake. It will get progressively worse as speeds increase. It's a common issue with the front end design on the fox body.