Ford Mustang Forums
 Home Register FAQ New Posts Members List Contact Us     Log In Log In  

Ford Mustang Forums Tech Related Brakes & Suspension

which brakes to go with?

Page 1 of 2 1  2 
okhatch 10.05.2013, 18:23
Im starting to collect parts for my mustang project and trying to figure out which direction to go in with the brakes. The car is going to need all new brakes front and rear (pads/rotors/calipers/hardware and lines). The car is a 86 coupe and im staying with the 4 lug setup. Looking for mid to low 10's out of it.

Option 1 - New stock replacement brakes cost: $400
Option 2 - upgraded stock replacements Cost $750
Option 3 - Aerospace prostreet drilled/slotted Cost $1050
foxchassisfreak 11.05.2013, 02:49
My car stops just fine on stock 87-93 gt brakes with good pads. I'd save the coin unless its gonna see a road course
okhatch 11.05.2013, 15:16
No road course, but it will be a manual brake set up. The stock set up on my old car just didnt feel good after a few runs down the track.
jrhaden 11.05.2013, 17:34
Lightweight brakes ftw. Id look on yellowbullet. I got my fronts and rears for $750 shipped.
okhatch 11.05.2013, 18:34
I found a set of front and rear on corral for $1000 shipped, they come with 33 spline c clip elem axles. Don't need the axles but I can sale them to get some of my money back.
jrhaden 11.05.2013, 18:36
Good deal
foxchassisfreak 11.05.2013, 20:46

Originally Posted by okhatch:

No road course, but it will be a manual brake set up. The stock set up on my old car just didnt feel good after a few runs down the track.

Ah, mine has power brakes still
the mex 12.05.2013, 15:59
If you are going to do much street driving,don't get race brakes...get street brakes as the race ones are not meant for that and will not last long in street duty.wilwood is my preference then strange then aerospace.get the lightest you can for how you will use them.

I recently got a lesson in "cheap horsepower" from duffy.
rotating weight is a huge deal,quality wheel bearings also make a big difference.they make lightweight wheel studs and aluminum lug nuts too.i recently bought billet lug nuts(not the champion wheel ones) and light weight studs.6.4lb rotating weight savings.you can have your ring gear lightened too and save an additional good bit of weight plus have bearings polished or buy bad ass ceramic ones and have virtually no rotating resistance..
67mustang 12.05.2013, 16:27
I have some strange front brakes NIB i'll make you a deal on... But they're five lug.
snacksnack 12.05.2013, 19:15

Originally Posted by the mex:

I recently got a lesson in "cheap horsepower" from duffy.
rotating weight is a huge deal,quality wheel bearings also make a big difference.they make lightweight wheel studs and aluminum lug nuts too.i recently bought billet lug nuts(not the champion wheel ones) and light weight studs.6.4lb rotating weight savings.you can have your ring gear lightened too and save an additional good bit of weight plus have bearings polished or buy bad ass ceramic ones and have virtually no rotating resistance..

Didnt know the weight savings on the studs was so, thats something good to know. I love the idea of building speed out of the planning of proper parts.
the mex 12.05.2013, 21:57

Originally Posted by snacksnack:

Didnt know the weight savings on the studs was so, thats something good to know. I love the idea of building speed out of the planning of proper parts.

I never would have thought it.we weighed the aluminum lugs and new studs then weighed the old ones and I was shocked.i had explained to him that I couldn't build a new engine for more power and he showed me a bunch of things I could do a piece at a time that wouldn't break me but make a big difference...all having to do with rotating weight and rolling resistance.he can grab the pinion yoke on his mustang and give it a spin and it just keeps on spinning the tires like spinning a bicycle tire..some of his customers hook a fish scale to their cars and if it takes even a couple pounds more to move the car than the previous week,they tear the suspension down to see what is causing the resistance!
the mex 12.05.2013, 22:05
Here is a lightened and REM polished one from innovaters west.
oneslowfox 12.05.2013, 22:58
Damn, Mex, that Camaro looks killer!
the mex 12.05.2013, 23:35

Originally Posted by oneslowfox:

Damn, Mex, that Camaro looks killer!

Thanks!
snacksnack 13.05.2013, 02:28
Damn how much lighter is the ring gear? Wonder what that cost to get turned down like that.
Page 1 of 2 1  2