Ford Mustang Forums
 Home Register FAQ New Posts Members List Contact Us     Log In Log In  

Ford Mustang Forums Tech Related Brakes & Suspension

Major rear axle problems

BlckCobra 14.04.2013, 04:24
Okay so I'm been having some problems with my rear brakes in my 03 cobra swapped to solid axle. The rotors are grinding on the what I think is the the bracket, leaving gouges and wearing extremely abnormal. I've replaced the brackets, calipers, rotors, pads and even the housing thinking it was bent. I have superior alloy 31 spline axles and a 03 cobra locker, I noticed when putting axles in the new housing that the passenger side axle would not go into the carrier, I tried both axles and they both wouldn't go in like the carrier wasn't lined up. I had to loosen the diff to get the axle in and then it still was extremely hard to move the axle in and out to put in c clips.

Is it possible for a diff to bend or be torqued to where it won't line up properly? It pretty much has to be axles or diff because I changed housings along with entire brake setup and its doing the exact same thing. The splines on both the axles and diff look to be fine and when sitting on the ground out of the car the axle goes into the diff just fine, I forgot to mention that it is only the passenger side that had problems

Edit*** the axles and diff are about 1 1/2 years old. The brake problems started out just squeaking then turned into horrible grinding sounds about 500 miles after putting them in. This is mainly a weekend/ track car
sleepercoupe 15.04.2013, 13:33
Post some pictures up of the damage. I've never heard of a diff. Being "bent."
5.0man 16.04.2013, 04:19
Sounds like your passenger side axle tube is bent.
BlckCobra 21.05.2013, 13:15
The new housing I had was severely bent. With everything out you can look through the tube and see its bowed.
stormy69 26.06.2013, 19:25
didnt you say you swapped housings already? so 2 were bent?