Ford Mustang Forums
 Home Register FAQ New Posts Members List Contact Us     Log In Log In  

Ford Mustang Forums Tech Related General Tech/How Do I?

New guy clutch advice

06FX41992 15.02.2013, 05:18
Had a great little surprise last Saturday night in the cobra, coasted down to a stoplight and the throwout bearing started screaming at me.

Now its not wanting to engage or disengage quite right and the noise is here to stay. So it looks like I've got to tear into the clutch way before I hoped. The clutch wasn't really even slipping yet, but nearly 90k miles on the 17 yr old factory clutch has convinced me to go ahead and replace the entire assembly instead of just the throwout bearing.

The car is a 96 Cobra, pretty much all stock engine wise. Just simple bolt ons. I don't plan on going forced induction or anything like that. My eventual goals are 2******0 rwhp with 4.10s. It's mainly a daily driver, so I'm looking for a new clutch that matches this setup and doesn't have a ridiculously hard pedal. I've been searching all the other forums for days now and everyone seems to contradict each other of course.

I've been looking at going with either the King Cobra (if I can find a real Valeo one), Spec Stage 1, Ram HDX, or something similar in price to these. Swapping it out under jackstands in my driveway doesn't fit with my classes this semester well, so I was probably going to have B&R Performance install it once they get caught up.

Does anyone have any advice/ suggestions?
06FX41992 15.02.2013, 05:21
I looked into the Centerforce DF and the base McLeod also, but they are a bit too expensive for my college budget.
EskimoJosh 15.02.2013, 05:38
At that power level its not going to be that big of a deal. Any of the entry level clutches will suit you well.
Phoenix 15.02.2013, 10:23

Originally Posted by EskimoJosh:

At that power level its not going to be that big of a deal. Any of the entry level clutches will suit you well.

This. I ran the King Cobra in my 96. It was good for my car, and it was seeing 400+ at the tires.
06FX41992 15.02.2013, 23:48
Thanks guys,

This helps a bit.

Does anyone on here have any experience with the spec stage 1?
I was leaning towards it, but some people have complained about bad chatter even after a proper break in. I'll probably go with some LT headers soon, so I just want to find a good reliable clutch kit just so I dont have to try to work around the headers six months from now.
EskimoJosh 16.02.2013, 00:46

Originally Posted by 06FX41992:

Thanks guys,

This helps a bit.

Does anyone on here have any experience with the spec stage 1?
I was leaning towards it, but some people have complained about bad chatter even after a proper break in. I'll probably go with some LT headers soon, so I just want to find a good reliable clutch kit just so I dont have to try to work around the headers six months from now.

Stage 1 is a rough equivilant to a stock clutch.
red94cobra 23.02.2013, 03:33
The ram HDX is a pretty solid unit, it's never slipped under any of the launches at the track. And I launch the daylights out of it. Something to note though, the disc they sent me with the clutch kit (ordered it from American Muscle) completely shredded/disentegrated itself. About a third of the friction material was left.