Ford Mustang Forums
 Home Register FAQ New Posts Members List Contact Us     Log In Log In  

Ford Mustang Forums Tech Related General Tech/How Do I?

Starter Spinning...

Page 1 of 2 1  2 
Synz 05.01.2013, 20:25
1975 Mustang II, 302-c/4. bought new starter 2 weeks ago, loctited bolts in. started fine for 2 weeks, now it just spins. took it back out had it tested, tested just fine. going to look at flywheel for broken teeth as soon as i get a warm day...but any other ideas what it would be?
foxchassisfreak 05.01.2013, 21:29
I'd replace it, testing them doesn't always work. I've gotten several bad starters from parts stores lately.
Synz 17.01.2013, 16:25
ok put new starter in, still just spins...finally got warm enough outside to work on it. I visually checked the flywheel and all the teeth appeared the same size with no grind marks. It is original transmission, could it just be a worn out flywheel? I assume the flywheel is bad, this is going to sound stupid, but for a temporary fix could i drop the horizontal bolt out of motor mount to drop that side down enough to engage?
jrhaden 17.01.2013, 16:30

Originally Posted by Synz:

ok put new starter in, still just spins...finally got warm enough outside to work on it. I visually checked the flywheel and all the teeth appeared the same size with no grind marks. It is original transmission, could it just be a worn out flywheel? I assume the flywheel is bad, this is going to sound stupid, but for a temporary fix could i drop the horizontal bolt out of motor mount to drop that side down enough to engage?

:facepalm:
Nick92Gt 17.01.2013, 17:00

Originally Posted by jrhaden:

:facepalm:

X2.. you probably have some rounded off teeth rather you think you don't or not.. I'd buy a different starter and obviously not the one that isn't reaching the flex plate. Or take it to a starter shop and have them put a bigger gear on it or buy a new flex plate and the right starter... could also possibly be able to shim it.
Synz 17.01.2013, 18:46
lol figured it sounded stupid...
Relentless 17.01.2013, 18:54
el oh el, I missed the funniest part of the whole thread, it's a mustang II
foxchassisfreak 17.01.2013, 19:13

lol figured it sounded stupid...

I've shimmed a bunch of ford starters, I usually drill the bottom hole in the starter about 1/8" bigger, then you can push the starter toward the flexplate, just a little bit, then tighten it down snug with a bolt and nut. Usually works like a charm
Synz 17.01.2013, 20:20
Well as to Mustang II...bought it off a guy who said it was undriveable for $300...engine and trans were in excellent condition. Only thing was the guy just put new tie rods on and failed at adjusting them correctly. I adjusted them and have been driving it since.
Mike 17.01.2013, 20:51

Well as to Mustang II...bought it off a guy who said it was undriveable for $300...engine and trans were in excellent condition. Only thing was the guy just put new tie rods on and failed at adjusting them correctly. I adjusted them and have been driving it since.

I don't understand how any of that makes it less of a Mustang II..
foxchassisfreak 18.01.2013, 02:39

Originally Posted by Mike:

I don't understand how any of that makes it less of a Mustang II..

You hush, I like some mustang II's
Synz 21.01.2013, 16:30
ok put new starter in, the teeth on old one were rounded a little, also put new solenoid in just in case. Same problem, not connecting with flywheel at all. So before i start to drop tranny...any other ideas? Shimming it didn't touch it either. Stuck in motel parking lot with limited tools, just started job at Bell in Texas so money is a little tight. Have to wait till friday to order flywheel.
foxchassisfreak 21.01.2013, 23:54
Try turning the motor over by hand, to move the flywheel to a different position, then hit the key again
63T-Bolt 23.01.2013, 03:39
Best to make sure you have everything correct for a II. They have their own specific C4 and flexplate, pretty sure they used their own starter as they were different on the tooth count than anything else ford used.

You can have the starter kicking out, but unable to actually engage the teeth of the flex plate because the drive is hitting the flex plate.
Synz 14.03.2013, 09:21
Well didn't have Time to play with it anymore so put it in shop. Turns out ring gear broke its welds put new one in.but mechanic says it will happen again because starter is pushing ring gear out when it engages. I think he's just trying to get me to sell it to him....
Page 1 of 2 1  2