Ford Mustang Forums
 Home Register FAQ New Posts Members List Contact Us     Log In Log In  

Ford Mustang Forums Tech Related Engine & Performance 2.3 and SVO Guys

what all is needed?

5.0fien89 28.12.2012, 01:03
okay, i just purchased a clean 90' notch, is a 2.3 auto and has done had the turbo setup installed off a t-coupe, what all is needed to complete and make the car run as it should, i know i need the pcm and vam, so my question is do i just replace the computer with the t-coupe one or is there wiring differences? how do i wire the vam, i know that this setup on a n/a 2.3 could have negative effects due to compress ect..but then i've also seen guys put almost 300+ out of a stock ka24de 240sx and everyone says the same thing about them not being able to handle it and so on...just needing to get it up and going, car starts and runs but of course runs really rich and idle's high..any info on this would be amazing, thanks for taking the time to look..
Desi 04.01.2013, 18:40
If it was a full swap shouldn't need anything, if it is just a n/a 2.3 that has had a turbo added that is a recipie for disaster, IF you get 300 out of it you will only do it once, you would need the wiring harnes and ecm. I suppose it "could" be wired in but no idea where to start.
Again if they swaped over a full turbocoupe engine & harness you should be good to go.
5.0fien89 04.01.2013, 22:10
no it's a Merkur set up on a stock n/a, i just want to get it running and only push about 4lbs through it till i can build the bottom end..other then that i found the ecu and vam..
magentamonster 04.01.2013, 22:19
Stock Turbocoupe bottom end should hold plenty.
5.0man 05.01.2013, 02:54

Originally Posted by 5.0fien89:

no it's a Merkur set up on a stock n/a, i just want to get it running and only push about 4lbs through it till i can build the bottom end..other then that i found the ecu and vam..

Still a recipe for disaster.

Has the block been drilled for the turbo drain back or did they run it to the pan?

This should tell you everything you need to know as far as wiring.

the joker 05.01.2013, 03:58
On a Nissan the ka24de is stouter than people give it credit for. I've seen a few with holset turbos on them put out power that would make an sr20det swapped look like child's play.
I would think if you keep the detonation in check and the afr's rich you shouldn't have a problem running 4lbs for a little while. But boost is like crack. You'll want more lol. I'm up to 21psi on 91 octane on my Omni.
foxchassisfreak 05.01.2013, 04:09

Originally Posted by the joker:

On a Nissan the ka24de is stouter than people give it credit for. I've seen a few with holset turbos on them put out power that would make an sr20det swapped look like child's play.
I would think if you keep the detonation in check and the afr's rich you shouldn't have a problem running 4lbs for a little while. But boost is like crack. You'll want more lol. I'm up to 21psi on 91 octane on my Omni.

I have a buddy that put a turbo on his 2.3 mustang, stock n/a motor. He ran 15+lbs on it, he beat on it for a couple years before detonation finally got a piston. 2.3's are fucking tough
5.0fien89 07.01.2013, 19:23
no..Shaun drilled the block for the return..
5.0fien89 07.01.2013, 19:24

Originally Posted by the joker:

yeah, my ka24de swapped 89' 240 was a blast...couldn't seem to blow it up...
5.0fien89 07.01.2013, 19:30

Originally Posted by 5.0man:

Still a recipe for disaster.

Has the block been drilled for the turbo drain back or did they run it to the pan?

This should tell you everything you need to know as far as wiring.

thanks man, and Shaun drilled the block for the return..not just to the pan..
5.0fien89 07.01.2013, 22:21
okay..so who has a shop around Tulsa of OKC that is good with these...guy with the pcm turned out to be the wrong one..so i'm gonna just go with a megasquirt and put some good pistons in the engine...i have injectors and the whole nine yards...
63T-Bolt 09.01.2013, 01:56
I have the software for the ms..... I'm familiar with the turbo 2.3 stuff. A couple of guys on here are too, but I believe they are in okc.