Ford Mustang Forums
 Home Register FAQ New Posts Members List Contact Us     Log In Log In  

Ford Mustang Forums Tech Related General Tech/How Do I?

how do I swap from fuel injected to carb?

Page 2 of 3 1  2  3 
magentamonster 09.08.2012, 06:36

Originally Posted by FoMoCo1:

x2! the swap is getting as bad as the ls1 swap into foxbodies

If you want an LS go buy a Chevy, oh wait Chevys are big ass tanks that need all that motor to get that big as turd to move when you make a car more EFFICIENT like Ford does. Sorry, that shit gets on my nerves.

- Donovan.
jrhaden 09.08.2012, 09:32

Originally Posted by magentamonster:

If you want an LS go buy a Chevy, oh wait Chevys are big ass tanks that need all that motor to get that big as turd to move when you make a car more EFFICIENT like Ford does. Sorry, that shit gets on my nerves.

- Donovan.

The LS motor is an awesome powerplant just FYI
superdan 09.08.2012, 11:14

Originally Posted by Whitetrash:

Sorry, I'm quitting smoking, and my pet peeves are getting the best of me.

It just drives me nuts when people call engines motors.

Quitting smoking I bet you're pretty moody
Silver 09.08.2012, 15:49

Sorry, I'm quitting smoking, and my pet peeves are getting the best of me.

It just drives me nuts when people call engines motors.

You are correct, but motor boat sounds better than engine boat.
superdan 09.08.2012, 16:03
^ lol
magentamonster 09.08.2012, 18:16

Originally Posted by jrhaden:

The LS motor is an awesome powerplant just FYI

Ok let me go get a 2JZGTE and put it in my Mustang. I never said they weren't a good platform to build on but I would just go buy a Camaro instead at that point.
Relentless 09.08.2012, 18:52

Originally Posted by Silver:

You are correct, but motor boat sounds better than engine boat.

I lol'd haha
Whitetrash 09.08.2012, 22:17
Secondly really you have seen ECM's freeze up at the track on several occasions. rollinglaugh

Engine, motor, badass motherfucker they are all the same.[/QUOTE]

Yes, Johny I have seen this, a Diablo sport has a set number of times you can change the tune, and after that, Jimbo, it will lock the ecm up until you enter the code to unlock it. This did happen to a very good friend of mine at the track, Bobby, and he was unable to continue racing, and had to have his car towed home, until his tuner was reset by Diablo.

And Billybob,on a second occation, another good friend of mine had a fast sequential fire box fail while at the track, not really sure what failed on that, Larry, but had to be sent in and gone thru by fast which took at least a month to get back.

Now I know the second example probably doesn't fit into the "freezing up" at the track definition exactly, but would probably fit into the "simpler is better" catagory. I know we probably all have had a piece of electronics fail at some time or another, what I guess I'm getting at is, if you're running a speciallized piece of electronics, and it fails, you more than likely not gonna find a guy at the track to barrow you one to either get back on the track, and/or just be able to drive your car home. (needle and seat, power valve, base gasket, ect.)

And as far as proper names, fuck it you're right, call it what you want, it don't make you sound like a idiot.
foxchassisfreak 09.08.2012, 22:31
Back to your question, to carb a fox.

Intake, carb, distributor, fuel pump. The entire engine harness can then be removed, all the other harness will stay, including your alternator wiring. So yes, the alternator will work fine.

I'm pretty up in the air on whether you should carb it. My car is carbed but it's a Windsor, and was originally a 4 banger.
To me, it depends on what you're doing. If its mild, I'd leave it injected
imajeenyas 10.08.2012, 01:57
I know huh? It's not like the msd box ever gave out on my carb'd car. Or ever had the mag go out on the outlaw 10.5 car...oh wait...that happened

You and your mom are hilbillies. This is a house of learned doctors.
TommyD 10.08.2012, 02:09
Ohh!!You did it again!!You made me laugh my head off with this FREEZING UP SHIT!!"Diablo has a set number of time you can change tune"Really??..I CALL BULLSHIT!!

Secondly really you have seen ECM's freeze up at the track on several occasions. rollinglaugh

Engine, motor, badass motherfucker they are all the same.

Yes, Johny I have seen this, a Diablo sport has a set number of times you can change the tune, and after that, Jimbo, it will lock the ecm up until you enter the code to unlock it. This did happen to a very good friend of mine at the track, Bobby, and he was unable to continue racing, and had to have his car towed home, until his tuner was reset by Diablo.

And Billybob,on a second occation, another good friend of mine had a fast sequential fire box fail while at the track, not really sure what failed on that, Larry, but had to be sent in and gone thru by fast which took at least a month to get back.

Now I know the second example probably doesn't fit into the "freezing up" at the track definition exactly, but would probably fit into the "simpler is better" catagory. I know we probably all have had a piece of electronics fail at some time or another, what I guess I'm getting at is, if you're running a speciallized piece of electronics, and it fails, you more than likely not gonna find a guy at the track to barrow you one to either get back on the track, and/or just be able to drive your car home. (needle and seat, power valve, base gasket, ect.)

And as far as proper names, fuck it you're right, call it what you want, it don't make you sound like a idiot.[/QUOTE]
woodrow7777 20.08.2012, 01:01
If you do carb. Make sure you got a hillbilly buddy that can tune it. Cuz in my experience not many guys mess with that stuff anymore.
68mustang 21.08.2012, 04:29

Originally Posted by woodrow7777:

If you do carb. Make sure you got a hillbilly buddy that can tune it. Cuz in my experience not many guys mess with that stuff anymore.

LOL appreciate it!!
68mustang 21.08.2012, 04:32

And as far as proper names, fuck it you're right, call it what you want, it don't make you sound like a idiot.

It's doesn't . Idiot... You sure are asking for a bunch of free advice and being a jackass. IMO I wouldn't go carb. I have a carbed car, and I have an efi car. Guess which one I don't work on very often? Also, if you don't know anything about carbs, which by your posts it doesn't sound like it, you might as well learn what most people are using now and what's on your car instead of switching over to a completely new and "old school" setup that you have to learn with. JMO. A lot of the guys that have went to carb have regretted it. But it's up to you.

Also the only thing I've "heard" about programmers locking up is if they are programmed to one car and then you try to program another car with them.
sleepercoupe 21.08.2012, 04:51
I've got both, I can leave my carb'd Capri for 6 days, weeks and months and it will start every time and run the exact same. My SD '86, fuck. you.

My grandma could set a carburetor up. If FI is easier to you, I must be older than I thought.

Carb tuning $60 an hour! Lost art, rare breed, get yours today before its too late!!
Page 2 of 3 1  2  3