Ford Mustang Forums
 Home Register FAQ New Posts Members List Contact Us     Log In Log In  

Ford Mustang Forums Tech Related General Tech/How Do I?

C4 reverse problems

fordguy5.0 25.06.2012, 15:23
Filled the tranny with fluid and put it through all the gears to make sure everything worked right. Shut the car off and the next day went to test drive it and reverse quit working. Everything else works but reverse, has a B&M shift kit and all new clutches and bands. Anyone have any idea why it would just quit working?
john-dickjr 25.06.2012, 21:38
sounds broke
fordguy5.0 25.06.2012, 22:18
What sounds broke?
63T-Bolt 25.06.2012, 22:28
Would be strange just to lose reverse, might be a stuck valve in the valve body being its a fresh build. Common with a shift kit if you don't stroke the valve enough before final install. Might take it a few tries to free back up.

Or maybe a strut came off..... But doubt that since it worked before.
fordguy5.0 25.06.2012, 22:44
Im going to pull the valve body out and take a look at it, think it would help to put new springs in it?
1qkwagon 26.06.2012, 13:17
Throw the valve body away and buy a TCI unit $157, shift kits suck compaired to an already built unit, due to your problems and others w/kits I only install already made units, less chance of screw ups. .02
foxchassisfreak 26.06.2012, 22:27

Originally Posted by 1qkwagon:

Throw the valve body away and buy a TCI unit $157, shift kits suck compaired to an already built unit, due to your problems and others w/kits I only install already made units, less chance of screw ups. .02

His tranny is a 24 spline, good valve bodies are hard to come by
63T-Bolt 28.06.2012, 11:52
Pull the valve body and just make sure you didn't break a band or the strut. Would surprise me of you did, but if your dropping the valve body off you will be able to see the band anyways.
1qkwagon 28.06.2012, 12:46

Originally Posted by foxchassisfreak:

His tranny is a 24 spline, good valve bodies are hard to come by

IN that case,throw the complete trans away and get a 26 spline, 24's are weak and as you have found out can't get good valve bodies for them. They are antique. plenty of 26 splines available.
foxchassisfreak 28.06.2012, 16:29

IN that case,throw the complete trans away and get a 26 spline, 24's are weak and as you have found out can't get good valve bodies for them. They are antique. plenty of 26 splines available.

weak? got proof of that?

I do! Mine is a 24 spline, in the car for 5 years, never been apart going low 10's, and 1.39 60ft. It's never acted up in any way, been a great trans
foxchassisfreak 28.06.2012, 16:31

Originally Posted by 63T-Bolt:

Pull the valve body and just make sure you didn't break a band or the strut. Would surprise me of you did, but if your dropping the valve body off you will be able to see the band anyways.

bands look great, not broken.

what is the strut? I'm not a big transmission guru
BRINGIT 28.06.2012, 19:29
Just throwing this out there, but do you know if the torque convertor could be draining the fluid back to the pan? My C4 knowledge is not on par with what some of these other guy have to offer, but I have seen the work front pump bushing go out, causing the convertor to drain the fluid back to the pan. And most shift programs have you drill the valve body passage "line to lube" which could cause the drainback. Im not sure if B&M requires you to do the drilling or not. But, I've had similar issues with a few trannys, and they all lost reverse, much like yours.
foxchassisfreak 28.06.2012, 19:49

Originally Posted by BRINGIT:

Just throwing this out there, but do you know if the torque convertor could be draining the fluid back to the pan? My C4 knowledge is not on par with what some of these other guy have to offer, but I have seen the work front pump bushing go out, causing the convertor to drain the fluid back to the pan. And most shift programs have you drill the valve body passage "line to lube" which could cause the drainback. Im not sure if B&M requires you to do the drilling or not. But, I've had similar issues with a few trannys, and they all lost reverse, much like yours.

Yes, the b&m kit requires drilling. So if that's the problem, will a new valve body fix it?
fordguy5.0 02.07.2012, 02:23
We got it fixed, put a different valve body in it and it works perfect
1qkwagon 02.07.2012, 23:06

throw the valve body away and buy a tci unit $157, shift kits suck compaired to an already built unit, due to your problems and others w/kits i only install already made units, less chance of screw ups. .02

imagine that!