Ford Mustang Forums
 Home Register FAQ New Posts Members List Contact Us     Log In Log In  

Ford Mustang Forums Tech Related General Tech/How Do I?

Aod swap

pieces5 07.05.2012, 14:44
I had previously posted that I received a 91 Lx 5 speed as a gift and now I'm in the process of gameplanning what exactly I want to do to it. I know that an auto will be a must (wife can't drive a standard). Initially I was looking to go big block but the price tag on that grew way to fast. So I have found an 85 tbird with a 302/AOD and I was told I could have anything off the car I needed before it was sent to scrap. The motor wouldn't quite be what I was looking for but I may change my mind. What would be necessary to make that Aod work behind a carbed SBF as far as computer stuff goes?
Relentless 07.05.2012, 15:15
I had previously posted that I received a 91 Lx 5 speed as a gift and now I'm in the process of gameplanning what exactly I want to do to it. I know that an auto will be a must (wife can't drive a standard). Initially I was looking to go big block but the price tag on that grew way to fast. So I have found an 85 tbird with a 302/AOD and I was told I could have anything off the car I needed before it was sent to scrap. The motor wouldn't quite be what I was looking for but I may change my mind. What would be necessary to make that Aod work behind a carbed SBF as far as computer stuff goes?

It would probably be in your best interest to take that stuff and sell it to buy a C4 or find yourself a v6 4r70w if you want OD and convert it to manual vb
02gt194 07.05.2012, 16:01
yeah for what you will spend on the aod you could build a stout 4r70 full manual vb and be way ahead as far as longevity goes
pieces5 07.05.2012, 17:33
Thanks for the suggestions. I guess I'm off to find greener pastures... Or pastures with better junk in them.
94fiveohvert 07.05.2012, 23:08
i have a stock aod with factory torque convertor that i just pulled of out my 93. i believe it to be from an 87 5.0 or so. Also have the auto shifter out of my 93 in great shape, and a factory steel fox driveshaft. Trans would need a different shift kit in it because it wanted to shift to overdrive 20 feet from a stop. If your interested i can get some pics of the stuff for you. i might even still have the loop connectors for the clutch switches also.
94fiveohvert 07.05.2012, 23:12
also have the flexplate and starter index plate.
63T-Bolt 12.05.2012, 03:26
Aod/e/4r are all basically the same units. Low power cars like the 4r gear set, but they aren't stronger than the stock aod gear set.

If you need any info.... I know a few things about the aod/e/4r series and can help you out.
pieces5 15.05.2012, 20:02
Thanks. Yea the reason I was looking to do the aod is because it is a freebie. But I guess my question really is would I need a computer or is it a tv cable if it came out of the 85 tbird and could I just use the driveshaft from the bird in the fox? I know they are supposed to be built on the same platform but I know all to well about ford things that 'should' match up. The trans should be sitting be behind a 351w if things go as planned. Any issues there?
63T-Bolt 16.05.2012, 03:39
You will need the tv cable, all aod's use them unless they have had an aftermarket valve body installed which does away with it. And as for going behind the 351 it all depends on how much power your wanting to make as to what you might or might not need to upgrade to make it live.

There a a few ways to make anything work behind your goals, even a solid basic rebuild I do can handle some decent power. It's all in how much power and $$$ you want to spend.
pieces5 16.05.2012, 04:33
As for power it'll be something along the lines of aftermarket heads and mild cam. I expect 3******5hp tops(?). The least amount of money to make it dependable enough for a weekend hell raiser would be awesome. I'm fully open to suggestions and opinions.
Mr. Ranchero 16.05.2012, 17:41
You also have to deal with getting the right amount of radius on the throttle to cable so that ratio is right. It is very easy to trash the AOD with a carb set up.