Ford Mustang Forums
 Home Register FAQ New Posts Members List Contact Us     Log In Log In  

Ford Mustang Forums Tech Related Engine & Performance V6 Guys

Intercooler Question

Desi 09.12.2011, 03:36
I pulled the trigger tonight for a new FMIC, and was wondering if there was a formula I could use by multiplying the CFM of my previous IC up to the new models size to guestimate the HP increase. I know it will allow me to up the boost a bit post install, but I didn't know if this is something that can be calculated or if it was the sort of situation where I would just have to dyno it and see.
pacettr 09.12.2011, 03:45
A bigger intercooler in and of itself will not necessarily show any hp gains. Power will come if flow is increased and/or if temps are reduced enough to allow more timing.
jrhaden 09.12.2011, 03:51
A bigger intercooler in and of itself will not necessarily show any hp gains. Power will come if flow is increased and/or if temps are reduced enough to allow more timing.
x2
Desi 09.12.2011, 03:56
B&J, Ok, that's what I sort of meant in that with increased airflow/volume and a larger cooling surface I can safely turn up the pressure and monkey with the timing, but is there any kind of formula, or are there just too many possible factors for it to be "mathed" out? If not than I am thinking I need to set up an apt. to run it again & see which dir I need to go with it.
jrhaden 09.12.2011, 03:58
Def have to get it on the dyno. There are tons of variables with just different intercoolers alone. Most less sizes, cooling properties, boost levels, etc.
Desi 09.12.2011, 04:04
Def have to get it on the dyno. There are tons of variables with just different intercoolers alone. Most less sizes, cooling properties, boost levels, etc.

Ok, that's what I was sorta thinking but wanted to run it by you guys....so what you are saying is once it is installed, I should start blowing up your cell asking about the next dyno day deal

I keed, I keedbeer