Ford Mustang Forums
 Home Register FAQ New Posts Members List Contact Us     Log In Log In  

Ford Mustang Forums Tech Related Engine & Performance V6 Guys

3.8 heads

matt is (eg6) 28.09.2011, 00:43
Ok so my girlfriends car had the dreaded blown head gasket that all the 3.8s get. I got the drivers side head off and was working on the passenger side when I rounded the head off the bottom left bolt by the firewall. i tried a few different bold extraction sockets and nothing so i ended up cutting the head off but the angle i had to cut at made me cut into the head.. my question is where is a good place to get a new head from?
rfcsoulja 28.09.2011, 04:40
Junk yard? I don't know of any places that make "new" heads. You can get some that have been ported and polished, but your best bet would be to get one from a junkyard and get it cleaned and checked.
matt is (eg6) 29.09.2011, 03:46
but that puts me in the same boat im in now. If i get them from a junkyard and they are cracked then im s.o.l...I know ebay has some that are rebuilt and i read somewhere on another forum there was a company that made ''NEW'' heads i think its out of florida but cant remember just figured someone would know on here...
dragterjr93 13.12.2012, 15:51
Super six motorsports has some badass heads.I think they're split port though
Relentless 13.12.2012, 16:07

Originally Posted by matt is (eg6):

but that puts me in the same boat im in now. If i get them from a junkyard and they are cracked then im s.o.l...I know ebay has some that are rebuilt and i read somewhere on another forum there was a company that made ''NEW'' heads i think its out of florida but cant remember just figured someone would know on here...

Come on now, it's a V6, there's no need to spend money to put a "new" head on it when you can just put a rebuilt head on it that has been checked out. Especially since the other side isn't new.
FiveLeeter 14.12.2012, 01:28
I got another V6 Mustang I'll just sell ya.

But as far as the heads, just pick one up cheap (I just sold a complete set for $100) and you should be fine.

How bad did you cut into the head? Post pics if you can, if it's a non-critical area just deburr it and you will be fine.