Ford Mustang Forums
 Home Register FAQ New Posts Members List Contact Us     Log In Log In  

Ford Mustang Forums Tech Related Engine & Performance V6 Guys

EVAP Craziness...

BASixxer 24.06.2011, 22:41
Ok, so I have been dealing with an EVAP issue for a few months, and cannot for the life of my track it down... I don't want to just start replacing things, would like to troubleshoot and find the real problem, but not having much luck...

I am popping CELs P0455 (EVAP System Gross Leak/No Flow) and P0457 (Fuel Cap Loose/Off)

I have checked the fuel cap and the seated ring is still in great condition, and it clicks to lock and everything. If the filler neck is cracked, will it show a Fuel Cap CEL?

As for the gross leak/no flow CEL, what does this refer to? Is there any point where it can actually pinpoint, or could it be anywhere? I used to have the Small Leak CEL instead, but recently it became a gross leak, and now I am getting vacuum errors...

Trying to get the car running back to normal before throwing on the Supercharger this winter, so I really want to get these issues solved...
93reefnotch 25.06.2011, 00:01
Both codes are for a evap leak. It seems (MOST) times on these cars the filler neck sealing ring where it goes in the tank will break and cause an evap code. Ya might look under there and inspect it. Im doing one on a 02 monday. The part is only 15 dollars from ford.

If it looks alright a smoke maching makes it alot easier to track these evap codes down.
BASixxer 25.06.2011, 00:50
Hmm ill check that. Im also checking the release solenoid tomorrow, heard a lot of stories of those cracking and causing the leak.
sleepercoupe 25.06.2011, 00:56
Hmm ill check that. Im also checking the release solenoid tomorrow, heard a lot of stories of those cracking and causing the leak.

Usually you will notice some fuel spillage when you are filling up if its really bad. But a "gross" evap leak is barely ANYTHING, its ridiculous.

I agree with the smoke machine, its the ONLY way to diag evap. I believe you can actuate the evap solenoid with some scanners but they may just be the WDS the dealer has.
93reefnotch 25.06.2011, 02:24
Yea I got a smoke machine at the shop and its a nice tool! Yea a "gross" leak is like .060'' lol
BASixxer 25.06.2011, 02:24
Sometimes I do. But I meant the Canister Vent Solenoid that's above the muffler, not the Purge Solenoid on the passenger side...
BASixxer 25.06.2011, 02:27
Yea I got a smoke machine at the shop and its a nice tool! Yea a "gross" leak is like .060'' lol

Wanna let me borrow it tomorrow? LOL
allFOXEDup 25.06.2011, 03:55
how bout trying a different fuel cap instead of just a visual inspection??
BASixxer 25.06.2011, 03:59
Seen too many times that people replace them as a first try and it is almost never the problem... I've had the problem for a lot longer than I've had that code, so feeling that it's something else that is triggering the code to pop...
thedeliveryboy 19.08.2011, 06:27
Check the hoses around the vapor management valve. make sure they are ate through.
BASixxer 19.08.2011, 11:46
Ended up being the filler neck grommet. Was completely torn apart and missing the piece that goes in the tank. Bought a new one for $23, installed it in about 30 minutes, cleared codes, and haven't had any CELs or loss in power in over a month.

Problem solved!