Ford Mustang Forums
 Home Register FAQ New Posts Members List Contact Us     Log In Log In  

Ford Mustang Forums Tech Related Brakes & Suspension

Why would rear solid axle toe be off?

Page 2 of 2 1  2 
stormy69 30.07.2010, 16:55
factory doesnt build toe into the axle intentionally, a small amount of negative camber is preferred on the rear but also is not purposly built in. your first post of 7/32 is a lot... lots of things can contribute and with your changes i would put it on something there vs the axle housing unless it came from a wrecked car.
mustangracer84 31.07.2010, 12:38
factory doesnt build toe into the axle intentionally, a small amount of negative camber is preferred on the rear but also is not purposly built in. your first post of 7/32 is a lot... lots of things can contribute and with your changes i would put it on something there vs the axle housing unless it came from a wrecked car.

I agree and dissagree with you, I agree that they don't build it to a specific degree, however they do build it to be within a specific range...and that range is rather small. All cars have some sorta alignment angles for drive axles. Thing is, as long as the wheel is straight, and/or it's not burning through a set of tires every month, most people don't care about the alignment. Frankly I would adjust the other control arm that you didn't shorten, I'd lengthen it, and if necessary, I'd shorten up the one you shortened more if necessary.
Bite Me 03.08.2010, 14:14
I am going to put this all back together, after I have spent the last couple of days checking things out, measuring etc. What I think I might do is take my driver side upper and add about 1/16-1/8" over the passenger side upper to try and get it to rotate a bit. Past that I am just going to drive the fucker and deal with it. I will have the axle straightened when I have 9" end welded on.

What I need is adjustable lower control arms so I can move the drive side back to match the pass or vice versa.
cobra13 10.08.2010, 10:58
lol....funniest thread of 2010!!!!!!

Whenever you guys get done talking about shit you know nothing about, let me know and I will tell you how to fix this.

Just for grins, what kind of alignment machine was this on?
circletrack5.0 10.08.2010, 12:41
lol....funniest thread of 2010!!!!!!

Whenever you guys get done talking about shit you know nothing about, let me know and I will tell you how to fix this.

no doubt, it's gettin' deep in here...

we bend them all the time circle track racing. i straighten them with a big chain and port-o-power or a hydraulic jack. generally, they are not perfectly straight from the factory. it not a critical area to worry about on a street car.
Bite Me 10.08.2010, 19:22
People are offering opinons. Whether they are correct or not doesnt mean shit to me, I just want ideas. All I am looking for is getting the thrust angle as close to 0 as possible and the rest I dont care about. Measuring by hand the passenger wheel WAS off by 1/8" or so. I now have it almost identical but I have no idea how I did it because I essentially dissasembled the entire rear suspension.

I dont ask what machines they use cause I dont really care. One had laser reflectors mounted the the wheels, the other had big ass boxes mounted to the wheels.
Page 2 of 2 1  2