Ford Mustang Forums
 Home Register FAQ New Posts Members List Contact Us     Log In Log In  

Ford Mustang Forums Tech Related How To Articles

How to Install Lowering/Handling Springs on a Foxbody

TENGRAM 17.03.2008, 21:26
ok guys, this is a rudimentary write up on how to install performance handling springs. some steps i don't go into much detail on, but if you have any questions you are always welcome to PM me or better yet post the question here. use this install procedure at your own risk.

-jack the car up, take off the wheel. put jackstands under the k-member and a jack under the a-arm.

-remove the caliper and tie it out of the way, remove the rotor and spindle (these steps are not necessary but will make it much easier). dettach the sway bar endlink. dettach the strut.

-lower the jack under the a-arm very slowly. when the a-arm is low enough (very low!) you may still need to pry the spring out. make sure it can't pop out and hit you in the face, but if the a-arm is low enough most tension should be out of the spring.

-put your new spring in along with isolators. the top of the spring needs to go in first then pop the bottom of the spring over the seat (your a-arm will have to hang very low to do this). hold the spring in place with your foot or a board or something while you jack the a-arm back up.

-reconnect the strut, put the spindle back on, and then the rotor and caliper. reattach the sway bar endlink. put your wheel back on and remove the jackstands.

-sit back and enjoy a job well done. *always the most important step*.

that's about the jist of it. use new springs, don't just cut the old ones. do it right the first time. FRPP "C" springs are only $120 from Bleakley Ford. this method worked well for me with my "C" springs but might not work as well (or at all) for softer springs or springs with less of a drop (because of their taller unsprung height). again, use this method at your own risk and use good judgement!

*as with any of my write-ups, if you see that i left something out let me know! its been a few months since i installed my springs so i may be forgetting something.*
the mex 18.03.2008, 04:47
thats the best instructions on this i have seen.good job.its pretty easy after you do it a few times.
TENGRAM 18.03.2008, 05:02
thats the best instructions on this i have seen.good job.its pretty easy after you do it a few times.thanks! some of the instructions that i have seen online were ridiculous. either they included high dollar spring compressors (or worse, spring compressors that will not work ie autozone junk), or they turned the procedure into a 5 hour death defying job. it really is much simpler than others make it out to be.

BTW, i didn't include steps for doing the rear because, well, its pretty straight forward. the only trick is to point the spring "tails" both towards the driverside rear tire. if anyone needs more details on installing the rear springs let me know.
itltrot 25.03.2008, 15:14
I tell you what. Pat you can write up your own tech article and include your own pictures and then you can post it. Leave this one alone.
c1500 26.03.2008, 00:12
thanks! some of the instructions that i have seen online were ridiculous. either they included high dollar spring compressors (or worse, spring compressors that will not work ie autozone junk), or they turned the procedure into a 5 hour death defying job. it really is much simpler than others make it out to be.

BTW, i didn't include steps for doing the rear because, well, its pretty straight forward. the only trick is to point the spring "tails" both towards the driverside rear tire. if anyone needs more details on installing the rear springs let me know.

does this apply to the sn 95 cars too? because my car sits higher on the passenger side then the drivers side..any ideas?
1Bad04 28.03.2008, 01:44
does this apply to the sn 95 cars too? because my car sits higher on the passenger side then the drivers side..any ideas?

Yes. If your springs are brand new, they may take a little time to settle.
Stanglife 28.03.2008, 17:31
Yes. If your springs are brand new, they may take a little time to settle.

Or it's turned a little bit in the base on the a-arm which usually is the case.
TENGRAM 28.03.2008, 18:40
:yeathat: if you used new spring isolators they take some time to settle, but should not cause it to be lopsided. if the springs are oriented correctly though, it will be be lower on one side.
vristang 01.04.2008, 18:55
I will NEVER use a jack to remove a spring from the front end of a Mustang...

My limbs are worth too much to me...

Spring compressors are cheap, and can often be rented for nearly free.

Just my opinion,
jason
the mex 01.04.2008, 21:37

Just my opinion,
jason

man,by the time tha a-arm is lwered the spring is extended about as far as it can be.the only reason for a jack to remove it is it MIGHT have a minimal amount of compression left.nowhere near enough to come flying out and hurt you.
TENGRAM 04.04.2008, 21:31

Just my opinion,
jasonthe proper spring compressor for foxbody springs is FAR from cheap and cannot be found at any parts store available for rent or loan. the loaner compressors they have either compress the spring straight down (which won't work due to the angle the springs must be at to seat in the a-arm perch and the upper perch), or they won't fit at all. believe me, BTDT wasted alot of time trying that.

with tall springs ala bullitt or mach style the compressed spring could cause a problem but with a foxbody spring there really is not enough jounce left in the spring to cause any damage once the a-arm is down.