Ford Mustang Forums
 Home Register FAQ New Posts Members List Contact Us     Log In Log In  

Ford Mustang Forums Off-Topic General Chat

GMC Dealership Recommendations/Low Brake Pedal

Page 1 of 2 1  2 
96Mustang460cid 07.12.2007, 22:32
After reading the, "Stealership service fun" thread, I decided to start this thread.

My wife has a 1998 GMC 1/2 ton 4x4 truck with a very low brake pedal. It darn near goes to the floor. In an effort to fix this, I have done the following:

--Front brakes have plenty of life with no leaks from the calipers
--Rear brakes have plenty of life with no leaks from the wheel cylinders
--Twice, I've bled the brakes at all four corners (farthest to closest)
--Brake booster and m/c have no apparent leaks

I took the truck to Goodyear to be checked out. I paid for the brake evaluation to see if they came to the same conclusion that I did. Outside of the random BS they always try to sell, they said the brakes needed bled. At this point, I told them I had come to the same conclusion and think the air was in the ABS portion of the brakes. I don't really think the 'understood' what they were doing. After giving them $80, the brakes were exactly the same.

Before I even left the parking lot, I went back in and told them the brakes felt exactly the same. At this point, they said these trucks 'always' have a low brake pedal. They also blamed the low pedal on the brake hoses. This truck is lifted, but still has stock brake lines.

So, will old brake lines cause the brake pedal to go to the floor? Or did Goodyear just not do a good job of bleeding the ABS? Any other suggestions? I don't see any problems with the brakes except for the low pedal.

Conclusion
What is a good Chevy/GMC dealership in Tulsa to take my wife's truck? I don't mind paying to get it fixed...but I want the freakin' thing fixed!

Have a good day!
Michael
Phoenix 07.12.2007, 22:39
don't know how to fix your problem, but the fact that they "fixed" it, and then told you that it is always a problem is fucking gay.
Sncbluegt 07.12.2007, 23:07
they do have low pedal problems all mine did it. all 3 of em
Phoenix 07.12.2007, 23:08

I just thought it was gay that they would "fix" it, and then turn around and say, "ah, that's normal."anyone
Sncbluegt 07.12.2007, 23:11
I just thought it was gay that they would "fix" it, and then turn around and say, "ah, that's normal."anyone

Kinda a noraml thing for a regular shop to say when they realize there weren't familar with the problem.

Thats why I don't get it when people bitch about takin their cars to dealerships (price wize) cuz the people there are familar with those vehicles and it will get fixed right first time and if it doesn't they have to back it up plus most work comes with a 12/12 warranty on parts and labor; local shops don't
Phoenix 07.12.2007, 23:13
I take my shit to Ralph's. I trust that if there is an issue, he will make it right.
Sncbluegt 07.12.2007, 23:15
I take my shit to Ralph's. I trust that if there is an issue, he will make it right.

True story. He is a good man
jonny37 07.12.2007, 23:17
Usaully if it is the brake lines it is made of a crappy material that lets the lines flex out and causes a spongy brake pedal. With my cars i try and put braided lines on their to prevent this.
93reefnotch 07.12.2007, 23:27

Amen to that...

Have had 2 though that I replaced the Hydraulic Control unit(abs unit) and taken care of the low pedal.
Sncbluegt 07.12.2007, 23:30
Amen to that...

Have had 2 though that I replaced the Hydraulic Control unit(abs unit) and taken care of the low pedal.

ahh yes is that sometimes referred to as the dump valve or (rabs) the rear abs unit?
93reefnotch 07.12.2007, 23:32
ahh yes is that sometimes referred to as the dump valve or (rabs) the rear abs unit?

Well his 98 should have kelsey hayes 4wal, The rabs were a little earlier 88-9?
Sncbluegt 07.12.2007, 23:41
Well his 98 should have kelsey hayes 4wal, The rabs were a little earlier 88-9?

oic
Michelle 07.12.2007, 23:41
If I took my car in for something and they charged me $80 and then it was exactly the same, I would tell them I wanted my $80 back and wouldn't leave until they gave it to me.

That's such a crock of crap, when shops do that. I freaking hate it.

If I get something "fixed" I should notice a difference! Yargh!
Phoenix 07.12.2007, 23:43
If I took my car in for something and they charged me $80 and then it was exactly the same, I would tell them I wanted my $80 back and wouldn't leave until they gave it to me.

That's such a crock of crap, when shops do that. I freaking hate it.

If I get something "fixed" I should notice a difference! Yargh!

that was my point.....don't gimme that "ah, they're all like that." That is BULLSHIT! If they all have that problem, tell me upfront, so I can walk my happy ass back out the door without wasting 80 bucks.50cal
Ezekial 08.12.2007, 00:14
it's a GMC
Page 1 of 2 1  2