Ford Mustang Forums
 Home Register FAQ New Posts Members List Contact Us     Log In Log In  

Ford Mustang Forums Off-Topic General Chat

Anyone have an HD Antenna?

Page 1 of 2 1  2 
N2 TRBL 09.05.2012, 10:18
I don't want to get ripped off by Cox for anymore services (that in all honesty should be free), so I'd like to receive my local channels via an Antenna. I should get a pretty good signal in my neighborhood.

Have any of you folks gone this route? There is a myriad of brands/models of antennas, which did you choose? I'll probably end up at Radio Shack unless someone has a stellar review of one they've installed & used.
Phoenix 09.05.2012, 10:19
so, you don't use Cox for Cable at all?
N2 TRBL 09.05.2012, 10:27
No, I have Cox Digital Cable and Internet and they charge me $84 a month for that. It's highway robbery, especially since I only watch like 5 channels. I wish I could just pay for the channels I watch. They won't let you do it because then it'd only be like $40 a month and they want to rip you off.

I think it costs like $18.75 more for HD programming, so my bill will be over $100. On an annualized basis, that's over $1000!!!
Phoenix 09.05.2012, 10:30
No, I have Cox Digital Cable and Internet and they charge me $84 a month for that. It's highway robbery, especially since I only watch like 5 channels. I wish I could just pay for the channels I watch. They won't let you do it because then it'd only be like $40 a month and they want to rip you off.

I think it costs like $18.75 more for HD programming, so my bill will be over $100. On an annualized basis, that's over $1000!!!

HD programming packages are usually for the added channels such as ESPNHD, HBOHD, ShowtimeHD....the standard cable channels like ABC, NBC, CBS, should be broadcast in HD. You just need the cable box that is an HD receiver unless your television has the tuner.
greddy91 09.05.2012, 10:38
I bought a phillips with a wall plug to amp up the signal. It works well until my cell phone rings then the signal drops out. Also... for anyone in the OKC area... good luck getting ABC.

Pictures are crisp though... OTA is really superior with a strong signal. No compression like cable boxes or Dish.
cyclical 09.05.2012, 10:39
that's funny...

Cox HD channels are free for me, just have to have a digital box.
Phoenix 09.05.2012, 10:40
that's funny...

Cox HD channels are free for me, just have to have a digital box.

that's what I'm trying to tell Stephen...even with standard cable, the signal is transmitted. If you don't have the digital receiver, you need a set top box to decode it.
pinkgirl 09.05.2012, 10:42
If you have Cox Digital cable already then HD cable is free, you just have to go trade your current digital box in for the HD one.
N2 TRBL 09.05.2012, 10:45
Ah ok, I'll call Cox up and see what's up, I think thier website says it is $18.75 per month.

I just think if I'm paying for cable it should be commercial free, I remember when it used to be.
saleen26 09.05.2012, 11:26
Just stick a paper clip in your antenna jack in the back of your TV. I did and I get all the fox and local HD channels clear as day.
FRISKY 09.05.2012, 13:28
You don't need a "special HD antenna," any regular TV antenna will pick up the OTA HD signal. Try the cheapest one you can find.
1Bad04 09.05.2012, 13:39
I work for Cox in the sales department. It wont cost you a cent to upgrade to HD as long as you already have digital.
stangfather 09.05.2012, 14:05
I work for Cox in the sales department. It wont cost you a cent to upgrade to HD as long as you already have digital.

i got hosed then..
ugly89stang 09.05.2012, 14:23

i need to upgrade to hd then ill give you a call
Datdude 09.05.2012, 14:54

derek.... buddy.... what can you do for me? LOL Hook a brother up. I pay for two HD/DVR boxes digital/internet/phone. Maybe kick me some freebies? fingersx
Page 1 of 2 1  2